martijnbrands

deform instance geometry along path

Hello everybody,

I am trying to deform my leaves as an instance geometry along the splines. As you see in the attached printscreen, the leaves are placed straight. Does somebody know what i am doing wrong?

Thanks already!

print screen.jpg

Hi,any update on this problem? I have the exact same question:is there any way to deform an instanced object along the curve?

I import atlas from megascan bridge and use cut tool to get individual object,I expect growfx to deform the instanced object along curve but its not.

Instead of cutting could you use the cropping tool in the "bitmap parameters" tab of your map in the material editor ?

Then you could just apply the atlas like a regular bitmap onto the native GrowFX leaf mesh.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you need, but it would allow you avoid using instances. I am not really sure if my method is the correct way, but it works for me.  

UPDATE: 

Try rotating the pivot of your instance object. It looks like GrowFX deforms instances along the z axis. On a flat object there is no z info. You have to align the z to the long axis (the one you want to bend).

In the image on the original post it looks like the z is aligned to the long axis, unless the leaves were created flat and then rotated into position. This wouldn't change the pivot and would give the above result of a flat non conforming leaf. 

also, make sure that you cut some segments in your geometry to allow for the bend.

Hope it helps !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hello guys,

Sorry for my late reaction.

The cropping tool is working fine and is a decent way to achieve my target, thanks for that! Still i am curious if it's possible  to do it with a instanced geometry. I saw they doing it in a tutorial of itoo software, where they had cut out the leaves of a quixel atlas.

i've attached the max file.

kind regards,

Martijn Brands

fern_cropping images.max

okdmY_4K_Albedo.jpg

okdmY_4K_Bump.jpg

okdmY_4K_Gloss.jpg

okdmY_4K_Normal.jpg

okdmY_4K_Opacity.jpg

okdmY_4K_Roughness.jpg

opacity_1.jpg

opacity_2.jpg