Tobitobs

Instanced geometry pivot

Hello,

I'm a bit confused where do I have to place the pivot of my geometry to use it as instanced geometry in my growfx object?

I've read in a older thread that the z-Axis has to be along the grow but the pivot itself has to be in the center of the object?

post-865-0-92848600-1489482906_thumb.png

I thought it would be more logical to place it where i want my geometry to start:

post-865-0-34962100-1489482907_thumb.png

but if I do this my geometry gets an offset in the wrong direction :( I looked the example Eduard postet https://exlevel.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74-instanced-geometry-issues/?hl=pivot&do=findComment&comment=322

and did the same(with xform mod etc.) but somehow my result is different. Do I have to edit the normals of my mesh?

Cheers

Hi Tobitobs,

The Reset XForm was needed for the old version of GrowFX, now it's enough to move and rotate the pivot.

Your second picture is correct, but I don't know what is the problem. Please send me this model so that I can understand the reason...

Thanks!

Hi Eduard,

I made a small test tree with the same twig Test.max the first path is with the "wrong pivot" and the second path is with the right pivot but has a strange offset.

hope I'm just too dumb :blink:

cheers

Yes, you need to apply Reset XForm, because your instance objects has a scale = 7.111%. To check, try changing the scale value for your objects, and you'll see how their positions changes. To solve the problem, you can also set the scale = 100%.

Please see to my saved file: Test_1.max, where I applied the Reset XForm, there objects moved to their places.

Cheers