PaQ

Exporting .abc pointcloud of leaves position ?

Hello,

Anyclue if there is a way to generate a point cloud of growfx leaves positions ? With orientation, scaling and maybe even color variation data stored in the pointcloud ?

So we could use Exocortex .abc exporter to export this data and recreating the leaves scattering in other softwares, and thus lighten the amount of data to export ?

My main software target is Clarisse, and while import millions of geo data is not a problem for this software, leaves scale is very important to tweak for the final image.

Would be awsome !

Cheers.

Hi Eduard,

Sorry for the little delay, and thanks a lot for your reply !

I'm not really sure how it works behind the scene.
The tricky part is to make this point cloud visible as point cloud (particles) for the exocortex .abc exporter.

http://exocortex.com/products/crate

(GrowFX is mentioned in the compatibility list, and I confirm it works already very well, even with animation ... and without the need to convert gfx asset as mesh).

I have tried to create the point cloud with tools available in Gfw.

So I use the Instanced geometry (meshbuilder), with a single vertex geometry as object input.
Somehow I get my point cloud, however Exocortex exporter didn't recognize this object as point cloud, but as 'simple' geometry (empty geometry in fact, as there is no mesh).

In the other hand, 3dsmax particle flow system is exported as point cloud, so they must be some 'class' object, and obviously I need this particle class.
(it's important because I can only use this kind of object (particles/point cloud) as scattering support in Clarisse).

Also, it would be awesome if some extra data could be stored in this point cloud, like orientation of course, but also scaling, maybe vertex color.
(technically it seems that .abc point could or .abc geometry can store any kind of custom channels, and I can easily extract this info later on).

The sexiest way would be to have an extra 'leaf type' in the standard leaves (meshbuilder) called for example 'particle' (see attach). Or it could be a new Mesh builder type.

That way I could export the tree asset at once (no problem to mix point cloud and mesh with exocortex .abc exporter), and I could even use animation options.

I realize it's a very time consuming request, useful for a very small audience ...

post-34-0-13127300-1435678500_thumb.jpg