RolandB62

Making more realistic trees...

Hi !

I've discovered a really really nice thread in the Ronen's forum, witch talks about the making of realistic trees and especially foliage.

These are in the monstrous topic (16 pages today) some questions Eduard and regular users here could ask I think.

I noted some comments (responses on the words in bold ?) and hope to have yours... I will post some (if it's interested to) when I will have read all the thread !

From Islant : "I think as some have said, imitating reality 100 is quite difficult, an important thing to have real trees is that the leaves are never the same geometrically, most are bent (not are a simple plane), others have more thickness, the young have a deeper green than the old, etc ... these are all factors that influence the level of translucency".

1/ Do you think it's possible to have different geometry for the leaves (bigger on the beginning and in the middle of a branch, smaller at the end per example) ?

2/ Is it possible to bend some leaves and have other not ?

3/ Is it possible to control the thickness (think is easier with a shader) of leaves ?

Well... I read I read and I'm completely inside !

Thanks !

Roland

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the link! It will be interesting to read...

Regarding your questions:

1/ Yes.

2/ Yes.

3/ Soon we'll add this feature.

Cheers

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the link! It will be interesting to read...

Regarding your questions:

1/ Yes.

2/ Yes.

3/ Soon we'll add this feature.

Cheers

Hi Eduard

1 and 2... how ?

Well this post is also very interesting , on how you can model a self-adaptating tree from an environment... is it possible with GrowFx ?

I asked myself a question too : is there a way to prevent the collision of the branches and leaves ?

Hi Roland,

1) It's very simple: Add 2 Affects from Parameter: Path position of leaves on the length and the width of the leaves... Example of this you can see in the "Palm 1" or "Berberis 1" of our Plants library.

2) To bending leaves can be used the Vector direction or Radial direction modifiers. 

a. If you're using the Vector direction with the Global vector option, then since the leaves have a different orientation, accordingly they will look differently.

b. Easy way: In Direction Modifiers list for the selected modifier set the Count Rate% equal to 50 (for example), then half of leaves will not have bend.

c. You can use an Affects to control bending as you like.

Cheers

Hi Roland,

Well this post is also very interesting , on how you can model a self-adaptating tree from an environment... is it possible with GrowFx ?

No, our product doesn't yet have this feature  :), but we'll think how to implement it...

I asked myself a question too : is there a way to prevent the collision of the branches and leaves ?

It's also not yet available. We'll try to implement the collision as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Hi Eduard

Thanks (again !) for all those answers. I'm really happy that every subject for GrowFx is a research source for you. This is another reason why I continue to use it ! Think that the question of implement the collision is more important that the other demand... but all is important for you I suppose !

Well... one other question, about how to make a sculpt bark trunk like that... not only at the bottom ot the tree... (and not in Zbrush !)

If it is possible, do you think that the mesh at the intersection of the trunk and branches will be ok ?

Thanks

Roland

Hi Roland,

Well... one other question, about how to make a sculpt bark trunk like that... not only at the bottom ot the tree... (and not in Zbrush !)

If it is possible, do you think that the mesh at the intersection of the trunk and branches will be ok ?

Yes, great idea! Need to try to implement the sculpting process at the metamesh level...
But first, we want to add the Hand drawing feature to draw branches directly in the viewport.

Thanks!

But first, we want to add the Hand drawing feature to draw branches directly in the viewport.

Waoooooo !! Amazing !! Can't wait for that ! It's Christmas time Eduard !!

1/ Do you think it's possible to have different geometry for the leaves (bigger on the beginning and in the middle of a branch, smaller at the end per example) ?

Hi Eduard

I've had some time to look at these questions ans answers you gave me.

For bending leaves your solution is great and it works perfectly.

But I've asked the question of the geometry of the leaves, as that : when you observe a tree the oldest leaves are at the beginning of the branch, and the youngest at the end.

So I was hoping to have a gradient size of leaves from trunk to the end of branches.

Is it possible to do, as with the branches (I've not found any way to have smallest branches to biggest from the top to the bottom of the trunk too...) ?

Thanks !

Roland

Hi Roland,

But I've asked the question of the geometry of the leaves, as that : when you observe a tree the oldest leaves are at the beginning of the branch, and the youngest at the end.

So I was hoping to have a gradient size of leaves from trunk to the end of branches.

Is it possible to do, as with the branches (I've not found any way to have smallest branches to biggest from the top to the bottom of the trunk too...) ?

What do you mean "the question of the geometry of the leaves"?
You want the leaves were different in size or shape?
If you want the leaves vary in size, I answered this question:

1) It's very simple: Add 2 Affects from Parameter: Path position of leaves on the length and the width of the leaves... Example of this you can see in the "Palm 1" or "Berberis 1" of our Plants library.

Cheers!

Hello,

Can't wait you guys find a way to implement something like the self organization system.

I really love the control growfx give me for let's say L1 to L3 branch (according you are using a recursive system), but I still find hard to create very high density foliage without dealing with big masses than doesn't look very realistic.

Hello,

Can't wait you guys find a way to implement something like the self organization system.

I really love the control growfx give me for let's say L1 to L3 branch (according you are using a recursive system), but I still find hard to create very high density foliage without dealing with big masses than doesn't look very realistic.

Hi PaQ,

Yes of course, we'll try to implement this system in the near future...

Thanks!