aurelarchi

Infinite time waiting during "creating meta meshes........"

Hi to all !!

Great plug here !

I'm new and this is the first day i work on grow fx.

But, during the build process each time i do some changing or update like changing length path groxfs starting creatin meta meshes and the time to calcul it is sol long................and sometimes max did'nt have response.....................

Why ?

Please check the attached growfx files

My machine : z620 Bi-xéon E5 2630 2.3GHZ

32 gig ram

Quadro 4000

Max2014 with last updates.

1.gfx

Greetings :)

Yes, Meta mesh can be very slow to calculate. To my understanding the process is unable to take advantage of multithreading on your CPU, so it can take a while. However, the calculation times can be greatly reduced by doing a few simple things.

1. Make your segment size and minimum face size as large as possible. fewer polygons mean less calculation time.

2. Reserve meta mesh usage for the most noticeable joints. Usually This will just include the first two or three levels on a large tree. Unless you are doing a very close up shot smaller branches can remain standard cylinders without affecting the quality of your model.

3. Use the "stop stitching" option under the meta mesh controls on branches where only the base needs to be stitched. Mainly your 1st and second branches. The trunk will usually require stitching along the entire length or a good portion of it.

4. When you are making tweaks to your model use the "disable meta mesh" check box under "preferences" in the main menu. That way you won't have to calculate stitching for every single action.

5. If you are doing animation, be sure to read up on the "after mesh modifier" options. I don't use these very often as I usually just do stills, but from what I understand this is critical to using meta mesh in an animation. Just check the manual for more details.

This should help you get around huge wait times for meta mesh use. My processor is a good deal smaller than yours and My wait times are usually under about ten seconds. The developers are working to make this faster, but until then just use the tips above and you should get some pretty reasonable calculation times while maintaining good quality.

Good Luck, hope it helps :)

Paul 

• Like 1

Hi Paul !!

At first thank a lot for the quick and very detailled reply !

I'm new and i think i do wrong. :)

I will post next days about the method and options you teached me.

Have a good day !!

Aurélien

Regards.

Hi Aurélien and welcome in the GFx forum my friend !

When you work on a tree you can just try to display lines and not meshes too, and time to time display meshes...

Don't hesitate to post your work here, Eduard and the community are always ready to help ;)

Cheers

Roland

Don't hesitate to ask your questions, but I only have some days more than you on GrowFx !... Sure you will (I too) find the good method.

But as I do now a tree with 1,5 million polys is 10 seconds growing when I modify it...

For the moment I'm trying to optimize the number of polygons when the tree is convert to mesh (80 to 100mo)... if you or anyone have any advice...

Greetings all :) I am glad to see some new faces here !

To Get you polycounts down there are a few things you can do :

1. In the "Mesh Builders" tab check "without central edges". This makes the profile of the leaf flat, but It cuts down on the polygons required to form the leaf dramatically. Take this on a case by case basis. Sometimes flat leaves can look unnatural. I usually try to keep the central edges, but If I have to get my polygon count down this is one of the first things I try.

2. increase your segment length on all paths. On each path try to have as large a segment length as possible while still maintaining the quality of your trees form. This goes for your leaf meshes as well.

3. Turning off mesh for paths that may not be visible from a distance. Usually this is the path your leaf mesh is distributed on. 

4. In meta mesh and cylinder mesh try increasing you minimum face size. This affects the "width" of you polys.

5. Use opacity maps to define leaf edges. Doing this allows you to get by with a much smaller leaf mesh, however, you will likely take a hit on rendertime. There are ways to avoid this but I don't remember them offhand. I usually try to avoid this method though. I prefer a slightly lagging scene to a major hit in rendertimes. If you need a more complex leaf you can always use the "instanced mesh". 

6. Check your tree architecture for areas that look crowded. Real trees and plans tend to avoid redundancy. Branches fill a space blocking out the light to the leaves below. With less light the Leaves fail to thrive and the shaded branches no longer send out twigs. In general you want to fill a space without your branches intersecting one another. There are exceptions, but this is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Good luck and Have fun with your plants :) If you get stuck just post, these forums are full of helpful people.

• Like 2

Hey thank !!!

Really happy see lot of help here ! :)

Since yesterday I finaly have nice result (first tree) and no long time to build or refresh the model, thank to you all.

Here is the first plant I done, i don't now if it's a tree or something other.............. :)

Now I understand the basic from the plug in, but I have 2 more question :

-How to set various size for leaves ?

-How to set vertex color for my leaves ? (I'm a vray user, more and more in Corona too...........)

Regards !!

post-635-0-40269400-1417529937_thumb.jpg

Hi Aurélien,

There are several ways to control the leaf size.

* One thing to note, changes in the path length will only affect the length of the leaf mesh. It will not affect the width of the mesh unless you tell it to. To make the path length affect the mesh width you would need to click the graph button beside the "Parameter : Length" label in the "Directional Modifiers" Panel . This will bring up your "affects" tab. Click the Left-most Icon at the top of the panel (Create Affect). The "Select Parameter" window will appear. Select the current Path - Leaves mesh - width. Now you should see the "Affect Factor" options in your "Affects Panel". Just click the graph button beside the "Factor spinner". The default graph should be fine. You have just told growFX that the length of the path directly affects the width of the mesh. All other affects can be used in the same way. 

1. You can use the chaos slider under the Path length ( This will give you random sizes). 

2. You can use the "Path Position" affects button to change the leaf path length as it progresses down the parent path. 

3. Any affect button can be used to alter the path length. Angle, Path Position, offset, etc. (Anything with an affects button). You can even make the properties of other paths affect you leaf meshes properties. IE, the path position of Branch 1 can affect the parameters of Branch 5. It will take a little while to pick up on this, but once you get the hang of it you will find it to be rather intuitive.

4. If you are using the standard leaves you have access to a size spinner. You can use Affects to change the size here as well (see #3)

5. If you are using the Instanced mesh you have access to a "scale" spinner. You also have a chaos spinner here. You can use Affects to change the scale as mentioned above in #3.  

I hope this helps. I know the "affects" functions can be a bit daunting starting out. But once you learn to utilize them There really isn't much you can"t control.

Have a good one, :)

Paul  

• Like 1

Waooo Paul you're the GrowFx encyclopedia ! Your answers are really really helpful for us. I'm copying your posts in a "How to" that I will have in front of me... Thanks a lot !

Same words from me Paul : Ouaw !!!

First of all thank at lot for your detailled answers !! And for the quick reply ! And yes all of this help me a lot!! :)

I will do the same thing Roland said, start a "how to" file based on your recommendation.

I will post soon as i can new tests !

Thank to all of you !

Greetings all :)

-How to set vertex color for my leaves ? (I'm a vray user, more and more in Corona too...........)

In the "Mesh Builders" tab for the leaves click the Vertex Color button. This will open the Vertex Color window. There simply turn on the VC: Coloring elements, and ready. All leaves have different colors. This can be seen, turning on the Display colors checkbox at the bottom. Then you can adjust the material using a Vertex Color texture map...

Cheers