OutOfLight

Render engine compatibility

Hi

Just wondering if the GrowFX plug-in is compatible with iray?

If so, can the foliage objects be dropped into place and ready to render, or is there a lot of messing around to get textures, maps, scaling etc to render correctly with iray?

thanks

Currently using 3ds max 2015 64bit on Win7 pro x64

Hi Out of Light :)

GrowFX creates all native 3dsMax Geometry so there shouldn't be any problems with Iray. You can use Growfx's UV tools to generate UVs for your plants but all actual material creation is done in Max. I think there is a Growfx multi material shader available  that makes texture creation a little easier, I haven't tried that out with Iray. But if it gives you problems you can just use the standard max multi material. 

For the most part grow fx is simply a geometry creation tool so any render engine should work.

• Like 1

Hi ptraln03,

Thanks for the reply.

So is GrowFX really worth the money? Or is it better to just use the built in foliage generator in max 2015 and buy additional foliage? I've only been looking into this today, so not sure which plugin is more versatile, and gives the best results. Looked on a few forums, and a lot of people recommend GrowFX over the competition, but do say that it's not exactly a pick-up and go plugin, and slow to work with.

cheer :-)

I think the price is very fair for what the plugin can do. Once you get the hang of it there really isn't much you can't create in terms of foliage.

As far as buying libraries or learning a plant creation software I think it depends. If an assortment of somewhat generic trees and plants will get you by then I would go the libraries route. I do Archvis primarily and clients often ask for specific foliage from project to project. It would be very difficult for me to find libraries that would cover all my needs. In my case it was better to learn a plant modelling software. 

As far as difficulty the people you asked are correct. Growfx does have a learning curve. It is a simple program but there is a bit of an art to it. Plant life is a difficult thing to model correctly. For me the biggest obstacle to overcome was how to observe a plant from a photo, and given that limited perspective, deduce the underlying architecture. I am still learning :) I think this is a challenge regardless of the software you choose.

I think in a relatively short time  you can get up and running. For those starting out I always encourage people to take the time to read the manual. It is very clear and only takes about half an hour or so to get through. It will save you allot of guesswork as far as what the buttons and spinners actually do. And if you run into trouble, the forums are well maintained and very useful. Almost all of the updates are driven by user requests. 

In terms of speed I would say that you times will vary. I typically bill about an hour per plant and three per ( large mature ) tree. The more detailed your models need to be the longer jobs will take. On average I would say this is a good estimate. some plants will only take 20 minutes, some trees can be done in an hour, but on average good highly detailed and textured plantwork runs about 1 hour a plant and 3 per tree. I think that speed is reasonable given the complexity of the subject. You can achieve a decent speed fairly quickly.

Give the demo a shot and see what you think. If you have any questions about how to create certain plant types just post to the forums and the community will help you out. 

Hope it helps,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Paul :-)

I will download the demo and have a play over a few weekends. I am a bit of a detail freak so from what you said the plugin will probably appeal to me. My main concern is with UV mapping, textures and scaling, not so much the geometry, as with most plugins that generate meshes or imports its usually just a case of removing what should be hidden edges or flipping/unifying normals . If I am on a deadline, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time mapping detail to trees when my main focus should be the clients design, so was hoping for a foliage generator that can drop objects into place with the UV mapping already scaled and orientated in the right place/direction per branch/trunk saving a lot of time. From the sounds of it I will have to build up a portfolio of trees and shrubs over time that will be the detail I want and ready to go in iray, but It still sounds like the plugin will be very useful, Hopefully the GrowFX UV generator works well with iray.

I will let you know how I got on with the demo in a few weeks.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers :-)

Simon.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Paul :-)

I will download the demo and have a play over a few weekends. I am a bit of a detail freak so from what you said the plugin will probably appeal to me. My main concern is with UV mapping, textures and scaling, not so much the geometry, as with most plugins that generate meshes or imports its usually just a case of removing what should be hidden edges or flipping/unifying normals . If I am on a deadline, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time mapping detail to trees when my main focus should be the clients design, so was hoping for a foliage generator that can drop objects into place with the UV mapping already scaled and orientated in the right place/direction per branch/trunk saving a lot of time. From the sounds of it I will have to build up a portfolio of trees and shrubs over time that will be the detail I want and ready to go in iray, but It still sounds like the plugin will be very useful, Hopefully the GrowFX UV generator works well with iray.

As usual.... Paul gave you a completely in-depth & honest opinion from a seasoned user. 

Thanks Paul...it will save Eduard's valuable programming time.

If you are a detail freak then I would recommend GrowFX as it can create details on top of details on top of details....and EVERYTHING is able to be tweaked/changed.

If you are a Archviz guy who often has a lack of time then I would still recommend GrowFX.

Although it can create very complex models it is also user friendly with UV mapping automatically assigned, [or it can be over-ridden by the user very quickly and easily as it has a very good set of tools for easily tweaking/changing UV's.]

Although I have never seen the foliage generator in max 2015 I really doubt a NEW software could compete with the years & years of development that has gone into GrowFX.

also if foliage generator is shipped with, or is an Autodesk product...don't expect ANY support from those money hungry pigs....and expect a lot of problems

Just have a look on the forum here to see the unbelievable level of support you get as a GrowFX customer and the level of customer satisfaction. Never have I seen this level of support in nearly 10 years of using different programs.

Cheers

Jamie