Surface distributor example

Gooner442

Hi all, 

I would like to achieve something similar to this tutorial: 

- is there somewhere I can get this example or one very similar, it will be easier if I can see properly how it's created as the tutorial doesn't show the initial steps for creating the leaves, I would like to use my own mesh for the leaves.

Thanks

Paul, just had a few queries I was hoping you could answer.

How does the surface distributor differ from a scatter plugin like multi-scatter or Forest-Pack- Pro?

I am only using the demo version at the moment, can you tell me if there is much of a learning curve to growFX?.. I don't mean to be an expert but to produce some reasonably good trees based on photos of trees as reference

Is there a large library to search for trees/plants within the software and also created by others? At the moment I'm searching for a number of Australian tree species and it's proving difficult to find them in other libraries like Evermotion/xfrog.

Thanks

Paul, just had a few queries I was hoping you could answer.

Hi Gooner,

Great to see another Aussie here!

I hope I can help answer your questions :)

How does the surface distributor differ from a scatter plugin like multi-scatter or Forest-Pack- Pro?

The main difference is that GrowFX will create a complete mesh for rendering rather than using individual instances like forest pro, scatter,etc. This means your GrowFX object will become very high-poly if you are not careful.  For things such as a very long hedge [approx 20-30meters long] you would be better to make  a couple of sections [approx 3-4meters long] that can be repeated & randomized in your scene to create a very long hedge.

I am only using the demo version at the moment, can you tell me if there is much of a learning curve to growFX?.. I don't mean to be an expert but to produce some reasonably good trees based on photos of trees as reference.

The initial learning curve is a classic exponential one. Can be hard at first, but then progressing very quickly once you understand the basics.

BEST value for money software I own IMHO! ......and also the SUPPORT is absolutely second to none. I am sure everyone who has bought GrowFX will agree. The only other software I can compare for this type of support is Chaos group...and it even better than that :)

Is there a large library to search for trees/plants within the software and also created by others? At the moment I'm searching for a number of Australian tree species and it's proving difficult to find them in other libraries like Evermotion/xfrog.

I am building a library right now!! [i am from Australia]

It takes time though, as I am making them to the highest quality. I have a few for sale already & can let you know as I finish more :) I was hoping to have more ready by now but it's hard finding time in between full-time archviz.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers Jamie :) 

A few things to add;

1. I use Forest Pack but I think both of the softwares you mentioned pretty much function the same way. As Jamie said, grow FX deals natively with actual geometry. So as you distribute more objects onto a surface they add to your overall polycount which can bog down your machine quickly! Plugins like Forest Pack, and Multi-scatter are primarily used for scattering and managing proxies of your desired mesh ( although you can also scatter actual geometry as well). This allows you to render huge scenes with billions of polygons that would otherwise crash your machine many times over. If you do allot of outdoor work for example, where high poly meshes like plants or trees are involved, a separate scattering software is really indespensible. They pay for themselves pretty quickly. If your doing smaller scenes with just a few trees or plants you can get by with something like max's object paint tool and mrProxies or vray proxies.

I would say GrowFX's native scattering is probably most useful for creating things like topiaries, or trellis plantings, but that's not to say there aren't other situations where it could come in handy.

2. Jamie is spot on. At first the UI can be a little daunting. But once you have the hang of it, it is pretty straightforward. The good news is GrowFX is fairly small. You can get through the whole manual in about thirty minutes. It probably won't take you too long to get decent output. A few days, but like with all 3d, there is sort of an art to it. I am about 4 years in and I still find new techniques, and tricks all the time. The community is also very supportive. If you ever have a specific plant you need help modelling or if you find yourself stuck, just ask :)

3. One major complaint I have seen on the forums fairly often is the lack of an initial library. There are several good example plants and a small user built section for free use, but I would imagine it can be difficult finding exactly what you need, especially for native Australian foliage ! There are several web offerings that look very nice, a few that come to mind are Maxtree, Vispark, HQ Trees, and coming soon Jamie's  beautiful work :) But yes, Access to an initial out of the box library is not really something GrowFX has going for it.

Have fun with the demo ! If you run into any more modelling challenges be sure to post. 

Have a good one,

Paul 

Thanks so much Jamie and Paul!..

Jamie, sorry to disappoint you but I'm not an Aussie, I'm a Pom.. I hope you'll still talk to me  ;) the project we have is based in Australia.

It all sounds really promising, though not sure I will be given the time needed to learn it, architects seem to think you just press a magic button and out pops a tree!!.. I think I'll have to get to grips with it at home, my first impressions was that it seemed complex but looking a bit further into it things are making much sense.

I gave multiscatter a go at trying to achieve the same result as the surface distributor but I wasn't happy with the outcome, perhaps I'll try again.. or perhaps the Surface distributor is better at creating topiary

Paul, I think I might well be looking for help modelling my first tree, like I say I have a number of trees to find/create so I appreciate all the help here.

Just wondering, if I wanted to see some of the best work done in Grow Fx where would I go?.. I mean in terms of animated trees/plants and some of the more advanced features.

Hi Gooner , 

Yeah, Architects are pretty bad about that :) Trees are one of the hardest things there is to model. even If you know every button in the program your modelling program it is still pretty difficult to look at a 2d image and from that extrapolate the underlying architecture. It usually take me anywhere from 30 mins to an hour for simple plants, and 1.5 to 3 hours for trees, and that is with quite a bit of experience. 

If you actually have to produce topiary I would say to scatter  your meshes with grow GrowFX , That way you can use its directional modifiers like vector, vector Orientation, etc.

I would be happy to help. I know Australian plants can be difficult. Their Architecture is quite a bit different from anything we have here in the US or Europe. 

As far as where to find examples of some of the best work done in GrowFX I would recommend a simple Google search for GrowFX. There are allot of good examples out there that are not posted in Exlevel's Galleries. As far as animation, you might check out Youtube.  

Have a good one :) 

Paul

• 4 weeks later...