Mario

Orientation of leaves on the twig

Hi,

i cant get the last leaf at the position 100% to face the same direction as the rest of the leafs. The "Angle axis" parameter in PathPosDistr is affected by the VecOrient ... so i cant rotate the leaf by 90 deg. Do You have an idea how i could rotate this leaf without affecting the rest ? 

post-438-0-75493000-1391101397_thumb.jpg

Hi Mario,

Firstly, set the "Angle Axis" = 0 (instead of 360), this parameter specifies the angle of the next element in relation to the previous one, and on the first element is not affected.
Then, in the settings "Distributor in point" change the "Angle axis", so that your leaf turned as you need.

If this doesn't help, please send me your model (you can by email), because I can't see all parameters...

Thanks!

Sorry, but the angle axis in 'distributor in point' is also afffected by the VecOrient so this value doesnt turn the leaf. I think the only solution would be to create another path ?? Im wondering why this vector orient has different effect on this leaf ? shouldnt it face the same direction as other  leaves ? Im sending you an email so you can firther investigate if im not making any mistakes.... Thanks a lot for the help. 

Hi Mario,

You just need to disable the VecOrient, and configure the settings for PathDistr_01 as on my screenshot:
post-3-0-78158700-1391161326_thumb.png

There I also added an affect to the Angle divergence, to change the angle of the leaves along the twigs length. You can delete it if it's not needed...

PS: In the VecOrient you're using the Local vector, so in this case it's not working properly.

I sent you an adjusted model...

Thanks!

Hi again,

now it works perfectly :) Affect is needed , every little detail makes a difference ;)  Thanks, i havent used the angular distributor before, so i wasnt aware it could be used here.

I just noticed one thing though while im writing.... every second leaf is facing the oposite direction. i mean .... every 2 are facing upwards and then downwards ? 

Its built on 4 paths plus fifth are berries (std leaves mesh)

starting path - path A, is a  path distributor 

the others are path pos distributor on the previous path at 100% position and every path has a Vector direction downwards (gravity like)

post-438-0-28342100-1391336706_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How would you do this for non-symmetrical leaves? The angle setup works when you want to do it on one side (and make the count 2 to mirror it) but not when you want to alternate it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnation#mediaviewer/File:Leaf_morphology_alternipinnada.png

I can do it by setting the turn axis to 180, but then the leaves are facing the wrong way on the other side, and I can't get Vec Orient to fix it.

How would you do this for non-symmetrical leaves? The angle setup works when you want to do it on one side (and make the count 2 to mirror it) but not when you want to alternate it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnation#mediaviewer/File:Leaf_morphology_alternipinnada.png

I can do it by setting the turn axis to 180, but then the leaves are facing the wrong way on the other side, and I can't get Vec Orient to fix it.

Here's a look, how I configured these leaves:

ViewLeaves_1.png

Just compare the parameters for distributors (L_Branches > PathDistr_01 and L_Branches > PathDistr_02) :

LeavesSettings_1.png

Cheers
  • Like 1

Hi Eduard,

This sort of thing would be great for the plant-part presets we talked about a while ago. Just small parts of a plant that have specific geometry such as this, alternate leaves, opposite leaves, etc.

Cheers

Jamie

This sort of thing would be great for the plant-part presets we talked about a while ago. Just small parts of a plant that have specific geometry such as this, alternate leaves, opposite leaves, etc.

Hi Jamie,

Yes, we'll try to make such a feature in version 2.0 with the node based UI...

Cheers