Exporting Splines?

Hello,

I am trying to export my trees as splines to be used in another package.  By adding a spline modifer, it bakes down all my paths into one curve. Is there a way to maintain the grouping? I would like an spline group for the trunk, branch, twigs, and leaves.

Thanks

post-197-0-95482500-1362765357_thumb.jpg

Hello,

If you want to convert to splines, you don't need add a spline modifier.
I understand you want to convert as splines the trunk, branches and leaves separately? If yes, it is currently impossible. But we can add this feature, I think it will take a couple of days. Confirm me by email at support@exlevel.com and we'll start developing...

Cheers

Hello,

Yes that is exactly what I need. Will this feature only be available for GrowFX 1.9.1? I will be in the office tomorrow, though I think the version I'm using is 1.8 or so.

Hello,

Yes, this feature is available for 1.9.1. This version is not yet released, but it's better than 1.8.x ;)  And I recommend you to switch to this version.

Ok, let me know by email your details, and I'll send you an update.

Cheers

Hi Eduard,

This is getting very interesting... I'd love to play with this spline conversion, especially if it retain the wind animation. (Are the exported spines animated?) By using a third party plugin in the Max it is may be possible to convert the spines to bones and to animate the trees for gaming engines like Unity 3d, Cry Engine or Unreal... (Here is the link of Spline2bone script http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/z-spline2bone )

This would be awesome!

How do I get my hands on this version?

Hi Pawel,

At the moment, the splines are not animated, but it can be implemented.

I think we can implement the conversion paths into animated bones directly. I looked at this script, and I think we may try to implement it in the plugin...

Can you please describe in detail the further process of using these bones?

Also by testing this script, it was difficult to attach bones to animated splines. As a result, the animation bones depends on animation splines. And if you delete spline, the bones will stop...

How do I get my hands on this version?

Just let me know by email your 3ds Max version and platform (32 or 64 bit)...

Cheers

The  animations are exported to game engines via FBX export.

FBX format includes the animated bones, with all the skinning intact. In Max you can use splines as bones to drive animation of a mesh and it works great, but I am almost sure that the FBX format does not support it. (I tried and it did not work). Since FBX is for the purpose of data exchange between different 3d apps, the best way to test the setup it is to export your Max scene and import it back into a new Max file. You'll know right away if the animation survived.

Also by testing this script, it was difficult to attach bones to animated splines. As a result, the animation bones depends on animation splines. And if you delete spline, the bones will stop...

The fact that the animation of bones depends on animated spines does not matter as far as the FBX is concerned. You have the option of baking the animation on export, and at that point the spines are no longer necessary. (I usually delete all the extra elements when I re-import the FBX file into Max before using it in Unity)

In case of gaming engines, the smaller the files the better real time performance, so it would be great if you could specify the number of bones for each spline -- just the way it was implemented in the spine2bone script... Of course, in my mind the bigger issue is how to do the skinning, so that the bones are moving the same parts of the tree as the spines from which they took their animation from. Would this be difficult to automate?

Ideally you could create FBX files with your trees that are animated via bones. This way you could export you animated trees not only to Maya or Softimge, but also to 3d game engines like Unity, which would possibly create a new customers for your business... (GrowFX is the best of the category -- hands down!)

Here a quick and dirty test of static trees created in GrowFX exported via FBX to Unity. Use arrow keys, or W, A, D  for running the character (two keys pressed together for froward-left, forward right to make turns):

http://www.bodytko.com/eduard/