davius

Random Direction Modifiers

As the title implies I was wondering if it's possible to have a direction modifier affect random leafs. For example, imagine a Coconut tree, not all of its leaves are perfectly straight - some got broken/twisted by the wind like in the pictures below

coconut_tree_in_napili.jpeg

Coconut_Tree.JPG

Any tips?

Cheers!

I think the only way to do it would be to make your path position affect a random direction modifier and use a graph to to define which fronds you want to have a random direction.

I see, but this way I'm telling GFX exactly where to apply a random direction mod instead of having it applied randomly across all leaves, do you understand? (all this randomness are getting confusing :D).

What I want is having the random direction mod applied to RANDOM leaves across the entire coconut tree. Is it possible? If not it would be great in future versions to have an option to apply a modifier randomly across elements of the tree.

Cheers!

I wanted to know if it's possible 'cause I feel it's something that could take my coconut tree another level closer towards realism (not that it's near it in anyway!!)

This is where I got so far experimenting with wind. It would be great if some more indepth help about the wind parameters were available.

Cheers!

Hi davius,

Try to set the Count Rate% less than 100.0, for example, 50.0 for the some modifiers. Then 50% of the leaves (or branches) will be calculated using this modifier, the other leaves without this modifier.

See my screenshot to see what I mean:

CountRate_.png

Cheers!
  • Like 1

Thanks Eduard! I'm gonna try it and see what I get!

And about the wind settings, any tips on how to get a slow, lazy, stops and go wind type? I find hard to animate using keyframes to stop the wind as the animation gets weird.

Cheers!

I see, you change the wind slowly. It would be nice if some kind of secondary motion was in place when the wind stops (something light, like the FLEX modifier does) so the leaves continued to sway. It could be a modifier inside GFX #hint 

I'd like to ask also, what do you think the coconut tree I'm making lacks? I mean, besides texturing of course :P I plan to share it here too, do you think it's becoming good enough?

I see, you change the wind slowly. It would be nice if some kind of secondary motion was in place when the wind stops (something light, like the FLEX modifier does) so the leaves continued to sway. It could be a modifier inside GFX #hint 

Yes, you're right. And btw, the Flex modifier we've in the plans :)  We'll try to implement it soon...

I'd like to ask also, what do you think the coconut tree I'm making lacks? I mean, besides texturing of course :P I plan to share it here too, do you think it's becoming good enough?

I think your palm looks great! Add some modifiers giving more chaos ( with Count Rate% ), and will be very realistic. And of course it would be great if you share it here :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

The overall shape looks great but I think it would be good to add a few really old Stems/leaves that are bent & broken.

You could easily clone your leaves paths to create the old leaves/stems & change or add modifiers to achieve a more broken & old look. [i would suggest adding a Start/End slice modifier with a random End slice & a Hard Bend modifier with a random percentage. The old broken Stems should also be angled downwards more & this will help hide the transition of the trunk to the stem/leaves better.

Hope this helps ;)

• Like 1

Sorry to revive this old thread but... is there a way to re-use the mapping of a tree? In the specific case of the coconut tree - I unwrapped all the leaves and separated them into 5 groups (old, medium-old, medium, medium-new and new), where the new leaves (the greener ones) are closer to the top and the old leaves (the yellowish/brown ones) are closer to the ground.

Then I want to make a similar coconut tree, but using a different seed no. and height (for the sake of variation). If I do this, I have to unwrap everything again! So tedious and takes quite a while (Max really needs some improvements in the unwrapping department).

So... any tips or tricks that might help me in this laborious process?

Cheers!

The overall shape looks great but I think it would be good to add a few really old Stems/leaves that are bent & broken.

You could easily clone your leaves paths to create the old leaves/stems & change or add modifiers to achieve a more broken & old look. [i would suggest adding a Start/End slice modifier with a random End slice & a Hard Bend modifier with a random percentage. The old broken Stems should also be angled downwards more & this will help hide the transition of the trunk to the stem/leaves better.

Hope this helps ;)

I did as you said, and just two old branches made the coconut tree look more convincing. But I guess I need to train more to get the grasp of tree modeling. It's not an easy task to mimic nature even with an incredible plugin as GrowFX!

Sorry to revive this old thread but... is there a way to re-use the mapping of a tree? In the specific case of the coconut tree - I unwrapped all the leaves and separated them into 5 groups (old, medium-old, medium, medium-new and new), where the new leaves (the greener ones) are closer to the top and the old leaves (the yellowish/brown ones) are closer to the ground.

Then I want to make a similar coconut tree, but using a different seed no. and height (for the sake of variation). If I do this, I have to unwrap everything again! So tedious and takes quite a while (Max really needs some improvements in the unwrapping department).

So... any tips or tricks that might help me in this laborious process?

Cheers!

Please send me your model, I just don't understand what you mean...

Thanks!

Sorry if I could not make myself understandable.

There's no bug or error in GrowFX - I'm just texturing the leaves of the coconut tree, but I want the leaves to be of different color depending on their age (the leaves on the top of a coconut tree are younger than the ones closer to the bottom, right?). I'm unwrapping the leaves to achieve this. The problem is, I need at least 5 different coconut trees and when I change the seed of the coconut tree in GrowFX, all my unwrapping info is lost. Am I doing it the wrong way? Is there a easy way to accomplish this? Unwrapping thousands of polygons is too slow in Max...

Now I understand you, thanks!

Ie you fully unwrap the entire tree? Of course, it's very difficult...

Just look at the Palm 1 from our plants library. The leaves color of this palm changes from top to bottom. This is achieved by using the Vertex Color feature.

Here you can find a discussion of this feature:

Try to use this feature...

The gradient of the Vertex color you can specify from black to white, then use the Blend material, where on mask slot put the Vertex color texture.

Cheers
  • Like 1

I see. I'm gonna try it.

Anyway, here's the file as you asked (Max 2013) http://www.sendspace.com/file/e1mq6v It's not ready for prime time yet. I appreciate If you find the time to take a look at it and point some of the mistakes I surely must have made :).

PS.: There is a GrowFX tree and a Mesher which I'm using to unwrap and point cache the animation later.

I tried to use the Vertex Color method but I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with this method.

Is it possible, using Vertex Color, to give different textures to different leaves? I see I can use the blend material and change the texture based on the gradient ramp, but if I have 3 or even 5 different textures? Using blend I'm limited to 2 textures...

This is the texture we made here to this coconut tree. You can see that there's a lot of variation in the leaves... Can I do (almost) the same thing using Vertex Color?

post-373-0-48747100-1363303686_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

post-373-0-48747100-1363303686_thumb.jpg

This is the texture we made here to this coconut tree. You can see that there's a lot of variation in the leaves... Can I do (almost) the same thing using Vertex Color?

Cheers!

Yes you can do the same sort of thing using Vertex colours...it is an extremely powerful process/tool. You could turn your leaf maps to grey & blend them with the vertex colour.

The other way to do this is to change the Leaf ID [on the leaves mesh window]. You can have random ID's for leaves, although the best way would be to have a different leaf path for the 4 different leaf sections [to match your 4 different texture groups] as this will give you the ultimate control.

I will have a look at your tree on the weekend & show you how it's done :)

Hope this helps

Jamie

Hi Davius,

I tried to open your max file but I cannot as I use 2010 version. If you want to save it as a GrowFX PRESET I can have a look at it for you.

Cheers

Jamie

I think it's better to develop a plugin texture, which will divide the bitmap into equal parts using the input gradient, for example,from vertex colors.

What do you think about this? Today we'll try to develop this plugin...

Cheers