Noahman

Realistic animated Leaves

Wanting a little advise.

I am impressed with GrowFX animation for Trunks and branches however not really getting a realistic result for leaves. Can anyone please advise or share settings for a typical adult broad leaf tree like a common oak for example?

Thank you in advance!

For broadleafs with complex edge conditions you can either Use an opacity map or use a an instanced mesh for the leaf path mesh. 

Probably the best way to get familiar with the leaf builder mesh would be the manual. It does a really good job of explaining what each of the parameters do and it is a quick read.

When I model specific leaves I usually end up using an opacity map. I make a square plane with enough segments to give me a little geometric variation then the fine detail of the shape is achieved with the opacity map. 

For simpler leaves I just use the leaf mesh builder on its own. 

Hope it helps :)

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you for the response Paul. Was actually asking after realistic leaf animation not materials. Any experience in achieving realistic motion?

On 2/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, Noahman said:

Was actually asking after realistic leaf animation not materials. Any experience in achieving realistic motion?

Hi Noahman,

Take a look at our Orange tree 1 from our Plants library. This tree includes the wind animation as well.

Thanks!