NorthVisualStudio

Animated Tree File Sizes are Huge

Hi

I'm creating an animated tree and the cache files are rather large, 320 mb x 250 frames.

Also, I cannot create a Point Cache file due to the usual two errors. When I export to a vray animated proxy, it doesn't bake the animation.

Is there a way to see the poly count for each path so that I can optimise each branch, twig etc..?

The max file is attached, if someone at Exlevel could have a look, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

NTree.zip

Hi NorthVisualStudio,

We recently fixed one bug in the Wind modifier algorithm, and I can send you an update, just tell me your 3dsMax version...
I checked your file, and there I see this bug.

PointCache works fine if you select the "One file per frame" option, but the files size is very large, because your tree has about 6 million polygons.
Also don't forget to turn on the "Convert to Mesh" option in the Preference parameters.

You can also set the Looping Period = 10 for leaves, i.e. a multiple of 250 so that they move faster. For small branches, you can also set a slightly lower value than 250. Select a value using the following formula: Looping Period = 250 / <some integer>. Looping Period should also be integer. Here's the list: 125, 50, 25, 10, 5.
I.e. while the trunk makes one movement in 250 frames, the branches can make 2 movements if you set Looping Period = 125 for them. Small branches can make 5 movements if you set Looping Period = 50, etc.

You can only control the number of created paths. To do this, you need enable the "Report on Path info" option in the Preference parameters.

Thanks!

Hi

I am using max 2020 and thanks for the info on the animation looping period.

It's an old topic but the meta mesh takes a long time also. From reading the forum, I believe that it's due to only one thread being used to calculate it - is this still the case?

Thanks

N

Hi NorthVisualStudio,

4 hours ago, NorthVisualStudio said:

I am using max 2020 and thanks for the info on the animation looping period.

Ok, I've sent you this version... Please check your file.

4 hours ago, NorthVisualStudio said:

It's an old topic but the meta mesh takes a long time also. From reading the forum, I believe that it's due to only one thread being used to calculate it - is this still the case?

Yes, this problem exists, and at the moment we've not found a way to use multithreading. In the future we'll try to develop a new algorithm for building such surfaces.
To work with your tree, I recommend including the "Disable all Meta meshes" option in the Preference parameters rollout. Then, when you turn off this option, the metamesh will be calculated only once, and after that only AfterMeshModifiers will work when you start the wind animation (for caching, etc.).

Thanks!

Hi!

Here's an excellent plugin to create proxy objects for animated vegetation, so you can have a light model in scene and play the animation smoothly on viewport. And the best of all: it's compatible with GrowFx objects! :)

Q-Proxies 3dsmax plugin

And this is a great tutorial showing different techniques you can use with this plugin and a GrowFx tree with a wind animation:

Q-Proxies Tutorial: Creating Proxies for Animated Vegetation

• Like 1