Big Little Pictures

Cache Write Freezing Troubleshooting Suggestions?

I am on 1.9.9.9 SP8 Beta  The Cache keeps locking up and freezing max mid-write.  Do you have a recommended checklist of things to look for that may be the cause of something like this?

The reason I ask...

Tree is 1.1M polys, shouldn't be locking it up.  It is 20 different parts... but caches fine for the first few hundred frames, then it seems to lock to infinity.  I can't seem to cancel or stop it without force closing max.  Previous frames about 20-30 seconds a frame to cache, let later frames go for over an hour and they never kicked.

If you have a standard troubleshooting list for this I'd give it a shot.

Sorry for all the questions, I am pushing this thing to its limit!

Thanks!

-Joel

Hi Joel,

Try turning on the Disable Progress Bar in the Preference parameters rollout. I'm not sure this will help, but you try it.

Thanks!

Here's what I did that helped... so others have additional input:

• Checked disable progress bar
  • Set Number of Threads to 1.  (More crashes one core and locks up max even if other core keep writing whiel it is frozen.  It won't unlock with even just 2 selected.)
  • Cached 10 frames at a time, it seems to choke after (some too high) number
  • Adjusted metamesh settings to limit calculation (Stop Stitching %)
  • Checked convert to mesh

4 minutes ago, Big Little Pictures said:

Checked disable progress bar

So, turning on the Disable progress bar is solved the problem or not?

Thanks!

Not really, it still freezes, i just left it disabled because you said to try it.  The biggest help was reducing frames per batch and keeping cores count to 1.  Probably a bug somewhere in there, feels like it it tripping over itself.  The nerd in me wants to say it is looking for a variable that was local and is no longer there, so it just keeps waiting for it.... or something of that nature.  I've had maxscripts I was working on lock up for this reason in the past.

I should mention i am on a machine with a 72 core machine with a Quadro 5000 and 256GB ram, so that's not the issue.. haha.